Smartwatches don’t have such a name for nothing, because their functionality is much wider than ordinary ticking accessories. Need details? The possibilities of smart watches, their application, settings and differences from fitness bracelets will be discussed further.
Interesting to know: How to choose the right smart watch — 9 useful tips
Smart watches — what is it?
Smart watches can be compared with smartphones, only the former are more compact and have their own characteristics.
If the first models of watch phones could only be calculators or translators, then the current devices are worn on the hand of a PC. Gadgets support the installation of third-party utilities, are controlled by mobile operating systems. They can include a camera, thermometer, barometer, compass, telephone, GPS, and many more other useful things.
How smart watches work
Clockphones, by analogy with other computers, collect information using external or built-in sensors. These sensors can be controlled and informed by various tools. Devices support Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS. The received information is displayed as information on the screen.
The watch can work independently or in conjunction with smartphones. Most often on sale you can find models on the OS developed by Google or Apple.
What smart watches can do: features and functions
The arsenal of smart watch skills depends on the manufacturer, model, year of release (the newer, the greater the variety of options waiting for the user) and price.
- Duplicate sms/emails from phone to smart watch. You can open, read and even reply to messages (by voice or using the on-screen mini-keyboard) without using your smart phone. It is very convenient, for example, in a crowded minibus or at work.
- Monitoring physical activity. It is because of this option that watch phones are often compared to fitness bracelets. Smart timepieces have a pedometer, the ability to check the pulse, pressure, monitor the quality of sleep, etc. For example, all of the above is in Huawei Watch GT 2 Pro Night Black.
- Determining the user’s location. Perhaps thanks to the built-in GPS sensor, or data from a smartphone synchronized with a smart watch. Helps not to get lost in an unfamiliar area. By the way, in children’s devices with the help of GPS, parents can track the movements of the child.
- Call answer/drop. Phone calls can be transferred to a smart watch, for example, to MTF02FS/A. You can answer the caller or reject the call.
- Music track management. It is possible to scroll through songs, adjust the sound volume. You can control the music that sounds from your phone, or create a separate music library in the watch’s memory.
In addition, watch phones allow you to quickly work with a calculator, alarm clock, stopwatch, timer, even watch videos. You can also activate «reminders» for important events. A variety of applications installed on the smart watch will help expand the functionality.
May be useful: TOP 7 best children’s smart watches
Unique smart watch features
What smart watches can do, in addition to the standard options:
- Anti-loss — a good watch phone will definitely remind the owner of a forgotten phone, as soon as he moves a certain number of meters away from the smart. By activating the phone search option, you can find the «lost» (the function is available, for example, in the Apple Watch Nike Series 6 GPS 40mm Space). True, the range is not so large and, for example, on the street, the sound signal of a smart phone can not be heard, but for home search, the option is very useful.
- Calls/messages to SIM card smart watch. In GOGPS ME K19 and similar gadgets there is a place for a separate SIM card. Thus, you can call or write directly to the clock phone, without being tied to the phone. Convenient, especially if the device is purchased for a child.
- Signal about the removal of the chronometer from the hand. Again, a necessary function in children’s models. Without the knowledge of the parents, the child will not be able to remove and leave the device at home, school or other place.
- The ability to «dive» under water. With some watches it is quite possible to swim. For example, with the Apple Watch Series 6 GPS, you can fully swim.
- NFC. Contactless payments are now available not only on smart phones. Some smartwatches also have a similar chip and can be used to pay for purchases or services.
See also: Watches with wiretapping for children: features and 4 models for different ages
This list can be expanded many times over, because each brand tries to uniqueize its watch phone, add some kind of feature. For example, Series 4 Apple devices can detect a user’s fall and, if there was no movement, initiate an emergency call.
What smartphones can smartwatches work with?
The accessory is synchronized with phones on various operating systems: Android, iOS, etc. In the characteristics of the gadget, there is always a mention of compatibility with one or more OS. For example, in the parameters of Watch GT Black, compatibility with Android / iOS is indicated.
To connect a wrist device and a smart phone on Android, you will need to install additional utilities on your phone (Wear OS by Google, BTNotification or others).
NuanceA: One smart watch can only be connected to 1 smart watch. If you need to reconnect the accessory, the smart watch is disconnected from the system of the old phone. At the same time, you can connect several different smart watches to one smartphone, for example, your own and your child’s.
Apple watch and iPhone do not need additional utilities for synchronization. The preparation only includes activating Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the devices. Information about the further actions of the user is on the official website of the brand.
Apple Watch can also be «attached» to an Android device. But this will require the installation of additional utilities. Such as BLE Utility for watches and Aerlink: Wear Connect for iOS for phones.
The reverse action is also possible: synchronize smart watch on Android and iPhone. But here, first you need to pair the smart watch and the Android phone, and only then, using special programs, connect the watch to Android Wear and iPhone.
On a note: The full functionality of Apple Watch will be revealed only in conjunction with Apple gadgets.
See also: Which Apple Watch to choose: comparison of series 1, 2, 3, 4 models, their features and reviews
Can a smart watch work without a smartphone?
Quite possible. For example, watch phones with a SIM card. Here is the functionality of a smart watch in a complete set, and it is possible to call, write directly to the chronometer. Similar smart watches can be synchronized with a mobile device. At the same time, they function successfully without it.
Of course, pairing with a phone will significantly expand the functionality of watch phones. But if the user has enough built-in functions, you can buy a smart watch as a separate accessory.
What is the difference between a smart watch and a fitness bracelet?
Both wrist accessories have a similar design: strap + display. Both can count calories, steps, measure heart rate, monitor sleep quality, and more. What then is a smartwatch for if there are cheaper fitness trackers?
Differences of 2 wrist gadgets:
Advanced models of fitness trackers (for example, Band 3 Pro Black) notify owners of calls or messages. Smart watches not only signal this, but also display information about the caller, you can answer or reject the call.
What to choose? You only need an assistant in sports, to maintain a healthy lifestyle — buy a fitness tracker. You need a full-fledged addition to smart (or its replacement) — they are looking at smart watches.
How to use smart watch?
Actually there are only 2 options:
- in conjunction with a smartphone;
- as a separate accessory.
In any case, the user will be able to use a smart watch like the Active R500 Green as a phone, fitness tracker, alarm clock, GPS device, calculator, etc. Only in the first case, you will have to go through the procedure of «binding» the smart watch to the phone using special applications (for example, Wear OS). In the second, insert a SIM card into a smart watch (if the chronometer is needed as a phone) and use the proposed functionality of the device.
How to set up smart watch
The first thing to do is to fully charge your smartwatch. If the device has a slot for a SIM card, insert a SIM card into it, enter a PIN code, do not forget to top up the balance. Further:
- Turn on the device.
- Set the time and date (the parameter can be changed in the «Settings» menu).
- Enable Bluetooth.
Detailed settings will be indicated in the instructions for the purchased model of wrist accessories.
Did you know: How the popular Apple smartwatch evolved: from Watch Original to Series 4
How often do you need to charge your smartwatch?
Depends on battery capacity. On average — 1 time in 2 days. The autonomy of devices depends on the activity of their use. For example, GPS «eats» a lot of energy. If you just view notifications on your watch, then the gadget will last more than 2 days without a charge.
In sports bracelets, the battery is more “survivable”. For example, the AW70 will last 12 days without recharging.
Where can you buy them?
Smart gadgets are gaining popularity day by day. Therefore, it will not be difficult to purchase them in specialized stores focused on the sale of various devices: phones, tablets and other things. You can also order a smart watch online. It is better to contact large online stores that provide a guarantee for goods.
So, smart watches — what is it and why do we need such gadgets? Devices are literally «stuffed» with all sorts of useful features: from the standard display of time and answering SMS / calls to finding a lost smartphone. With such a wrist accessory, you can even go hiking and track your own well-being, even to a business meeting and manage notifications without taking out your smartphone. Manufacturers are going further, making watch phones real minicomputers that can do without pairing with a phone.